Friday, August 31, 2007

The Four-Toed Teacher

It's been hot since school started, and I practically live in my sandals. At the beginning of the year it's always nice to be able to wear capris and sandals to work. I do lots of teaching from the rocking chair at the front of my room while the kids sit on the carpet. Yesterday, a couple of the kids must've been studying my feet. They wanted to know why I only had four toes. I said, "I have all five toes. You just can't see my little one. It's hiding. It's too short to see."
"No!" they said with a look of great concern on their faces. "Look! You only have four!" Nothing I could say would convince them otherwise. I guess I could've taken off my shoe and proven it to them, but why ruin the mystery?!

1 comment:

Jane said...

That's so funny! You just have to love 'em, don't you? They still crack me up after my 36 years in action! I'll be back at it tomorrow, and I'm sure I'll have stories to tell, too. My favorite description of 1st graders during cold season is that they are little "glazed doughnuts" - so true! Keep the stories coming!
Jane