Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Teachers Can Be SOOO Frustrating!

The school where I work runs on the balanced calendar. This means that we start back to school earlier than most schools and go later in the year than most schools as well. The nice thing is that I am off for two weeks in October, March, and December. I have been back in school now for a little over a week, and the kids have been back since last Thursday. They are a sweet little bunch of first graders, and the year is off to a really nice start.

To try and maintain order in my room, I use a card system. The children each have a set of Green, Yellow, Blue and Red cards, and the goal is to remain on the Green card all day long. If some rules are broken, the cards need to be turned, and there are consequences associated with being on Blue and Red. For the first three days of school, all the children got to stay on their green cards while I let them know that "If it was Tuesday, you would have to move your card because...."

OK, lots of background to get to the cute story! I hope it's worth it! :) I have one little guy who is color blind. On the first day of school when it was time to color our "How Was My Day Today?" paper Green, he raised his hand and said, "I'm color blind, so I don't which one (crayon) is green." I got out his green crayon for him, he colored, all was well. The second day, when I passed out their papers and told them to color their day, he raised his hand again. Forgetting our conversation from the day before, I went to him again, wondering why he wasn't coloring yet. He said, again, "I'm color blind and I don't know which one is green."
"Oh, that's right!" I said, and again, handed him his green crayon. {Now keep in mind that the first three days of school were Thursday, Friday, Monday. I had to remember everything over a weekend :) }
On the third day of school, when it came time to color the paper green, you know who raised his hand, and again, I went over to his desk as clueless as ever. When I got there and asked what he needed, he replied, "I'm still color blind!"

P.S. We decided to take the paper off his green crayon so he doesn't have to ask me to help him find it anymore!! :)

No comments: